This topic covers the Route group on the Plan Screen. You will learn how each option in the group is used by the N-FP system.
We estimate that this will take 3 minutes to complete.
The Route group on the Plan screen provides you with options for profile and optimization method selection.
It also includes the route window, which displays the routes that have been generated. The Route group is extendable to reveal secondary and tertiary route option fields.
Click the double arrow button in the Route group.
This button opens additional fields in the group.
Click the green arrow beside the Profile field.
These green arrows open menus to choose additional.
Click the Specific profile list item.
The options that you choose can affect the behavior of the field. In some instances, choosing an option from the list can disable a field.
Route group fields
Route Window - Applied Route Display
The Route window displays the available routes after all applicable flight information has been entered. If no pre-existing routes are available, NONE is displayed. When a route as been computed, a route name CMP is displayed.
When selected, the informational context arrow opens a text box with Recompute route analysis... displayed. Selecting this message allows you to recompute the route analysis. The informational context arrow is only available under the route heading,and only when the route group is not expanded.
The secondary and tertiary route windows contain the same items as the primary route list but with two additional items at the top of the list:
- None: Selecting this item causes the burn not to be performed.
- Selecting this item causes the other controls below the route list to be disabled.
- If None is selected for the secondary burn, then the tertiary burn is also set to None.
- Use primary: Selecting this item causes the burn to be performed using the primary route..
Profile (accessible through green arrow) - Profile Type List
Profile type list is available when select the green arrow beside Profile. This list allows you to select a profile type. Options available are:
- Specific Profile
- Optimum cost index
- Meet Schedule CI
- Optimum fixed Mach
- Meet schedule fixed.
Route group fields
Profile - Profile Name List
This drop-down list allows you to select any cruise profile for the aircraft.
Apply Rules - Use Apply Rules Drop-down box
The Apply Rules Drop-down box has the following options:
- Ignore: If the flight does not comply with the rules a warning or error won't be received. NOTE: This is not recommended for planning in IFPS airspace.
- Warn: If the flight doesn't comply with the rules a warning will be displayed in the notification box and the flight will still compute.
- Error: If the flight doesn't comply with the rules the flight will not compute and will display an error. NOTE: To configure the rules drop-down default see FOMS Menu 170. Changing the value in the Route group also changes the Apply Rules drop-down list on the Options section on the Route Builder screen.
Optimize - Route Analysis Optimization Method
This drop-down list allows you to select the least cost, least time or least fuel optimization method when performing the route analysis. The Optimize fields for the secondary and tertiary routes are read-only and cannot be changed. See Least Cost, Least Time and Least Fuel in the Glossary for details.
MFL - Maximum Flight Level
This field allows you to enter the maximum flight level for the flight. Unlike the primary route’s MFL text box, an informational context arrow next to the secondary and tertiary routes' MFL boxes allows the following checkable options to be selected (only one can be checked):
- Custom: Enables the text box and allows the user to specify a flight level.
- By Level: Allows you to specify a level from -2 to +1. The status bar displays the message Modify by Level Increment Up or Down and the label of the field changes from MFL to MFL (lev).
- By Feet: Allows you to specify hundreds of feet up (positive value) or down (negative value). The status bar displays the message Modify by Hundreds of Feet Up or Down and the label of the field changes from MFL to MFL (ft).
Comparison routes in the NFP system will respect 1-up flight level selection. This occurs even if the main route has been capped as long as there are available flight levels.
The max flight level for an aircraft is still applied during the calculation. A compute warning is displayed if an altitude cannot be reached due to performance data. Some flight levels may be removed to optimize routes.
Route group fields
The navigation data within NFP taken from the ARINC 424 data has any associated RNP values stored within the appropriate segments or records. The MTTA only selects them if the aircraft-specified RNP value is lower than the value on the piece of navdata. The RPN value is stored in the Aircraft Characteristics menu.
The options are:
- On - perform RNP validation if an override is available or if an PBN RNP can be used in validation. Note: due to differences in allowable values between PBN and SIDs, STARs and approaches, the PBN RPN value cannot be used to validate SIDs, STARs and approaches.
- Off - don’t check RPN value
- Permit Check
- If deselected, There are no warnings for missing permits when generating a flight plan or route. If selected, warnings are generated.
- By default the checkbox is selected. If you de-select this checkbox, the Check Permit checkbox will be deselected on the Route screen.
- Avoid NATs - Use this checkbox to generate a route that avoids the North Atlantic Tracks.
- Avoid Areas - Use this checkbox to generate a route that avoids restricted areas.
- Avoid Turb - Use this checkbox to generate a route that avoids turbulence using the value set in the Avoid Turb Edr field in the FOMS 170 menu. This field is disabled if you are not using TELV winds. Select Y on the FOMS 170 menu in the field beside Avoid Turb Edr to make this checkbox selected by default.
- Avoid Icing - Use this checkbox to generate a route that avoids icing using the value set in the Avoid Icing PPI field in the FOMS 170 menu. This field is disabled if you are not using TELV winds. Select Y on the FOMS 170 menu in the field beside Avoid Icing PPI to make this checkbox selected by default.
- Avoid Storm - Use this checkbox to generate a route that avoids storms using the value set in the Avoid ThunderStorm field in the FOMS 170 menu. This field is disabled if you are not using TELV winds. Select Y on the FOMS 170 menu in the field beside Avoid ThunderStorm to make this checkbox selected by default.
- Exclude Stations - Enter a station or stations to be excluded from Oxygen and Driftdown escape routes, ETOPS, Alternates or Enroute Weather stations.